The simple musings of a gay gypsy soul...

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Getting married in Vancouver

My partner and I got married in February 2006. It was a snow laiden day, crisp and cool and wonderful. The Family Day long weekend in Alberta ironically enough. We escaped to a little chateau at Lake Louise in Banff National Park with six good friends, a Unitarian Minister a photographer and did the deed. We were legally married in the province of Alberta, in the great land of Canada.

After having been separated by many miles and a lot of time from my old roomates and friends in the United States I managed to get in touch with one. He informed me that he had been with his partner for a few years and that they too were coming to Canada to get married since the right to marry the person they loved was denied to them in the United States. So come this Thursday, my husband and I will be flying to Vancouver to celebrate the gay wedding of my dear friend and his partner.

It strikes me as so odd that there is so much violence and hate in this world and so many people kill each other over religion, money, nationality, soccer and all other manner of nonsense that there are still people who fight the rights of gay and lesbian people to get married and celebrate their love for one another. What could be better than two people committing themselves in a loving, devoted and symbolic way. Maybe its the fact that gay people can and do actually LOVE the flies in the face of those who fight the equal rights movement of the GLBT community. It's sad though that so many get so angry and hateful defending their right to love and their denail of that same right to others.

Vancouver... here we come!

No comments: